Tuesday, June 24, 2008

First post!

This is an attempt to do the kind of show list/calendar that I would want to see. I have been going to shows in the Boston area for about 12 years now, and not since the old days of bostonpunk.net have we had a comprehensive show calendar. Add to that, I am way too open-minded, so nothing covers all the metal and ridiculous shows in which I am interested, so I am always hunting down shows in tons of places.

Scotty Bystander in Albany just added a nice show list to his board and it got me thinkin' (uh-oh...). When I am being good and tracking down all the shows I should, I probably follow more than anyone, so I should be a good little DIY do-be and stay on the ball and share them. So here we are.

As far as geography, I'll try to cover anything I might drive to from Boston without considering it a vacation. This might include shows as far away as NY or ME, maybe even Philly or Montreal. Genre-wise, pretty much any punk, hardcore, and some metal and some ridiculous stuff like the upcoming Peter Murphy show, just because I like it. I'll be inclusive of stuff I wouldn't necessarily go to, and of any overlap with otherwise iffy stuff, although I have to say I probably won't go out of my way to list any hipster mosh/pop metal, unless there is a band that knows who Minor Threat was on the bill. Sorry!

I picked a blog format and a straight text list for easy maintenance. What I'll do is post a complete, updated, linear list every week, and then post updates in between as separate posts. Feel free to use the comments to make me aware of corrections and new listings, or email me.

Please try to send listings in this format:

month/day: Bands, starting, with, headliner; Venue name, Town, State if not obvious; time (start and/or doors, specify); cost; age restrictions

OK, next post will have some shows!

No comments: